tzdata 2003e: imperfections (Cyprus)

Oscar van Vlijmen ovv at hetnet.nl
Mon May 17 21:05:42 UTC 2004

Cyprus:

Indeed, _most_ people agree on _geographically_ part of Asia.
Read e.g. the Wikipedia:

"
Cyprus is geographically in Southwest Asia, but
Cypriots assert that they are a part of Europe.
"

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyprus>

But this is not an authoritative source.

>From Paul Eggert:
> This shouldn't matter one way or the other to tz users, since
> Asia/Nicosia and Europe/Nicosia are aliases.

Cyprus nor Nicosia are mentioned clearly in the "europe" file.

Anyhow, let's not get political, but practical, so: why not LINK or at least
mention Cyprus clearly in the "europe" tz-file?

In the "northamerica" file there is for instance a remark:
"
# See the `europe' file for Greenland.
"

A bit of crossreferencing can't do much harm I think.

BTW, those interested in this discussion may also wish to read for instance
Paul Eggert's email dated 2000-09-28, subject "Re: (Cyprus), Nicosia is in
Europe not Asia." See the tz mail archive.

Oscar van Vlijmen
2004-05-17