FW: New rules for summer time in Brazil

Rodrigo Severo rodrigo.lists at fabricadeideias.com
Tue Oct 5 15:17:27 UTC 2004

Hi,

>>Innovations for this year include begining of summer time on a Tuesday
>>(2004/11/02, that happens to be a religious holiday for mourning the
>>dead).  I *really* don't believe that this starting on Tuesday will
>>last.  States are the same as last year.

Not really. This year the state of Mato Grosso has been included in the
DST observing states list. It hadn't DST last year.

>Oops!  Bad phrasing and serious confusion.  I actually wanted to say that I
>don't really believe that starting of summer time on this holiday will be a
>practice for the years to come.

I agree with you. This strange date is related to brazilian voting
machines not being able to deal with time changes between first and
second rounds of the municipal elections. I don't think anyone proposed
tuesdays as a permanent DST entry date, not even the technicians
responsable for the technical aspects of the decree.

As far as I can tell, the patch I sent to this list yesterday includes
theses changes in tzdata just fine. I'm afraid there will have to be
another tzdata2004 edition soon, before October, the 17th, I mean.

Best regards,

Rodrigo Severo