UK news: Nigel Beard's Lighter Evenings Bill fails

Markus Kuhn Markus.Kuhn at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Oct 18 14:40:42 UTC 2004

Dave Stewart wrote on 2004-10-18 13:10 UTC:
> I suppose that if we don't experience GREENWICH Mean Time as the Local time
> at SOME time in the year, it would be laughable bearing in mind it's a UK town!

As some forces within the ITU seem still very keen on abolishing the
leap second (current proposals seem to suggest from 2010 on), the
meridian associated with the international reference time

  - currently known as Coordinated Universal Time (UTC),
  - formerly known as Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), and
  - possibly soon (2010?) known as International Time (TI, Temps International),

would be slowly accellerating eastwards. "International Time" would be
firmly on first French territory within less than a millenium (followed
by Germany, Poland, and eventually Russia for a very long time). Within
just a few millenia, each UN member would have had its fair share of
International Time being equal to local time ...

Good bye, Greenwich.

Markus

Background:

  - http://people.itu.int/~meens/CE7/Sept-04/7A/TEMP/R03-WP7A-040928-TD-0004-E.htm
  - http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/time/leap/
  - http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/

--
Markus Kuhn, Computer Lab, Univ of Cambridge, GB
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ | __oo_O..O_oo__