Time Zone change in GEORGIA (Eastern Europe), time zone is now GMT+3 (no longer GMT+4)

Paul Eggert eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU
Wed Oct 27 23:23:17 UTC 2004

"Mark Davis" <mark.davis at jtcsv.com> writes:

> ... can someone fill me in on why the TZIDs have an attached continent in
> the first place? The only thing I can see is that it may make the TZID
> slightly less ambiguous than just the city name

That's part of it.  There were more mundane reasons, too.  Subdividing
into continents kept the "ls" listings on a single 24x80 screen.  It
also kept directory sizes small in the file system, which was a
performance issue on the old SunOS box that I originally developed the
naming scheme on.

I didn't know that there would be political controversies about which
continent a location resides in.  I knew about Istanbul, but there
it's clear which half of the city is European and which is Asian.