Localization Facilitation

Chuck Soper chucks at lmi.net
Thu Sep 2 07:39:01 UTC 2004

Over a month ago Mark Davis posted an email that mentioned issues
related to translations of time zone IDs provided by the common
locale data repository project (CLDR). I'm interested to find about
the status of this localization and to find a way to keep informed of
the progress.

The initial email discussion was somewhat lengthy and I'm sure that I
did not digest all the points mentioned.

The beginning of the CLDR proposal explains the current mechanism for
localizing Olson Time Zone Identifiers (Olson TZIDs). And in the tz
code directory, the rules for naming Olson TZIDs are in the Theory
file. Many Olson TZIDs simply do not localize well. I believe that
the Olson TZIDs were not designed with localization in mind.

I suggest a zoneMeta.tab file (very similar to zone.tab) be created
for the propose of facilitating localization. Such a file could
include the following columns:

  - ISO 3166-1
  - latitude/longitude (from zone.tab)
  - Olson TZID
  - city or place name
  - sub-division (i.e. state, province, prefecture, or kingdom)
  - time zone name, general (e.g. Eastern Time)
  - time zone name, specific if is exists
            (e.g. Eastern Standard Time - Indiana - most locations)
  - time zone name, std (e.g. Eastern Standard Time)
  - time zone name, dst (e.g. Eastern Daylight Saving Time)
  - historic (yes/no)
  - attributes (major, minor, etc.) Is Center, North Dakota minor?
     (perhaps historical and attributes could be combined?)
  - geographical comments (entire country or ISO subdivision codes?)
  - revision notes (always the last column)

additionally there could be columns to track if a particular time
zone is within another time zone.
  - tz level (e.g. Denver == 0, Arizona == 1)
  - parent Olson TZID (e.g. Arizona's parent is Denver)

*** It's important that this information is maintained in the time
zone database. The maintainers of the database should be the ones to
determine or declare if a particular time zone is modern, historical,
major, minor, or has other attributes.

I also think that a meta data file for time zone abbreviations would
be useful. Many abbreviations are important and widely used while
others are invented by the maintainers for convenience. Currently,
time zone abbreviations are not unique (e.g. EST) and need to be
associated with both an ISO 3166-1 code and an Olson TZID. A
abbrMeta.tab file could contain the following columns:

  - ISO 3166-1
  - OlsonTZID
  - time zone abbr - regular (e.g. PT for Pacific Time)
  - time zone abbr - std     (e.g. PST for Pacific Standard Time)
  - time zone abbr - dst     (e.g. PDT for Pacific Daylight Saving Time)
  - time zone name - regular (e.g. Pacific Time for PT)
  - time zone name - std     (e.g. Pacific Standard Time for PST)
  - time zone name - dst     (e.g. Pacific Daylight Saving Time for PDT)
  - historic (yes/no)
  - abbr valid or in use (yes/no)
  - comments
  - revision notes

A unique time zone abbreviation ID could could eliminate the need to
have time zone names in both the abbrMeta.tab and zoneMeta.tab files.
The zoneMeta.tab file could contain unique time zone abbreviation IDs
that refer to the abbrMeta.tab file. Perhaps, simply appending the
abbreviation to the ISO 3166-1 code. Pacific Standard Time for the US
could be US_PDT.

The purpose of these meta data files would be to provide English
readable time zone information (more comprehensive than zone.tab) and
to facilitate localization. These files could be added to the data
directory and clearly noted that they are a work in progress. If this
or a similar approach is taken the validity of these data will evolve
over time.

Questions:
  - Should the tz database attempt to maintain or track ISO 3166-1
codes that are either obsolete or do not have an associated time zone?
  - Should XML or XLIFF be considered for meta data only? This would
allow future support for local city, sub-division, and time zone
names utilizing Unicode. A local name would be in the country's own
language (and there might be secondary local names for countries with
more than one language).

I expect to be very busy for the next couple of weeks, but I'm
interested to find out if my comments are useful.

Chuck