Haiti on DST

Gwillim Law RLAW at nc.rr.com
Fri Apr 15 19:56:13 UTC 2005

The latest patch to the tz data, tzdata2005h, shows that Haiti stopped
observing DST since 1997.  A correspondent, Risto O. Nykänen, wrote me that
Haiti is now on DST.  I searched for confirmation, and I found a press
release on the Web page of the Haitian Consulate in Chicago,
http://www.haitianconsulate.org/press.html, dated 03-31-05.  Translated from
French, it says:

"The Prime Minister's Communication Office notifies the public in general
and the press in particular that, following a decision of the Interior
Ministry and the Territorial Collectivities [I suppose that means the
provinces], Haiti will move to Eastern Daylight Time in the night from next
Saturday the 2nd to Sunday the 3rd.

"Consequently, the Prime Minister's Communication Office wishes to inform
the population that the country's clocks will be set forward one hour
starting at midnight.  This provision will hold until the last Saturday in
October 2005.

"Port-au-Prince, March 31, 2005"

Gwillim Law