Time zone mail list server change

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Fri Dec 9 12:35:06 UTC 2005

    Date:        Thu, 8 Dec 2005 11:41:43 -0500
    From:        "Olson, Arthur David \(NIH/NCI\) [E]" <olsona at dc37a.nci.nih.gov>

  | I've changed the time zone mailing list server so that when it sends out
  | messages, replies are directed to tz at elsie.nci.nih.gov.
  | With providence, this will reduce the number of messages misdirected to
  | tz at lecserver.nci.nih.gov.

Doing that in a Resent-Reply-To header isn't going to help anyone - that's
a meaningless header, nothing is going to pay any attention at all to it
(The whole set of Resent-* headers are a bit of a black art, but at least the
rest of them have some purpose, Resent-Reply-To has none at all).

You could use Reply-To (though that has other side effects - though they may
be desirable - I don't think we need to start the "Is Reply-To: the-list
a good thing?" debate here).

Better would just be to have the To or Cc headers have the correct
string in them - aside from messages replying to messages that already
have the lecserver address, how is that string getting there?   That
is, as I send this message, there's no mention of lecserver in in the
headers, anywhere - there should continue to be none in the To/cc headers
when the message gets distributed.   If that isn't working, can it get fixed?

kre