proposed tz changes for Paraguay, Israel, "backward", and commentary

Ephraim Silverberg ephraim at cse.huji.ac.il
Thu Jan 13 09:30:42 UTC 2005

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, Paul Eggert wrote:

>   - Israel's DST transitions will change.  The current proposals are only
>     tentative, but are more likely than the old tz data.  (Thanks to
>     Ephraim Silverberg for this.)

Just an update on the legislative process: I spoke to the secretariat of
the Interior Ministry Committee yesterday and was informed that the
proposed changes have passed the first reading in the Knesset and, as
required by law, been sent back to the Interior Ministry Committee for
review and possible amendments; after this stage, the proposed law will
be resubmitted for second and third readings before becoming law.  The
committee review is scheduled for two weeks time.

One has to take into account, however, that a new coalition government
was presented to the Knesset on Monday and that there is a new Minister
of Interior so it is likely that some amendments will be made before
the second reading in the Knesset.

I will endeavour to keep the list up to date on further developments.
Ephraim Silverberg, CSE System Group,        Phone number:    972-2-6585521
Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel.        Fax number:      972-2-5617723
WWW: http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~ephraim       E-mail: ephraim at cse.huji.ac.il