Timezone translations

Peter Ilieve peter at aldie.co.uk
Sat Jun 4 17:41:37 UTC 2005

On 4 Jun 2005, at 17:41, Mark Davis wrote:

> Thus we can't use the long name Greenwich Mean Time or the
> abbreviation GMT
> to refer to the "British Winter Time", because GMT (= Etc/GMT) is
> invariant
> (no daylight/summer time rules). We can, however, use a qualifier,
> like
> "Greenwich Mean Time (UK)" or "GMT (UK)".

You're stuffed then (to put it politely :-).

I don't really understand what the CLDR is for, but if it is supposed to
provide text strings that a user in a particular locale would expect
for things like timezone names and abbreviations then the only
acceptable
things for UK users are Greenwich Mean Time / GMT and British Summer
Time / BST.

It's hard to argue with the Interpretation Act 1978, which specifies
Greenwich Mean Time as the UK's legal time. Do you know any MPs?
Maybe you could get it amended to  add the " (UK)". :-)

         Peter Ilieve        peter at aldie.co.uk