Multi-timezone clock

Mark Davis mark.davis at jtcsv.com
Fri Jun 10 16:57:40 UTC 2005

I'm not saying that one should necessarily use all the levels of containment. It depends on other aspects of the UI. The 2nd level of the UN tree is actually reasonably close to the top level TZID arrangement.

UN:

      Africa [002]
     Eastern Africa [014]
     Middle Africa [017]
     Northern Africa [015]
     Southern Africa [018]
     Western Africa [011]
      Americas [019]
     Caribbean [029]
     Central America [013]
     Northern America [021]
     South America [005]
      Asia [142]
     Eastern Asia [030]
     South-central Asia [062]
     South-eastern Asia [035]
     Western Asia [145]
      Europe [150]
     Eastern Europe [151]
     Northern Europe [154]
     Southern Europe [039]
     Western Europe [155]
      Oceania [009]
     Australia and New Zealand [053]
     Melanesia [054]
     Micronesian Region [057]
     Outlying Oceania [QO]
     Polynesia [061]

Here are the differences I see, after replacing the UN "Americas" by "America", and "Oceania" by "Pacific" (or the territories "Antarctica" or "Australia").

      Africa/Ceuta ES Africa Europe
      Arctic/Longyearbyen SJ Arctic Europe
      Asia/Anadyr RU Asia Europe
      Asia/Irkutsk RU Asia Europe
      Asia/Kamchatka RU Asia Europe
      Asia/Krasnoyarsk RU Asia Europe
      Asia/Magadan RU Asia Europe
      Asia/Novosibirsk RU Asia Europe
      Asia/Omsk RU Asia Europe
      Asia/Sakhalin RU Asia Europe
      Asia/Vladivostok RU Asia Europe
      Asia/Yakutsk RU Asia Europe
      Asia/Yekaterinburg RU Asia Europe
      Atlantic/Azores PT Atlantic Europe
      Atlantic/Bermuda BM Atlantic America
      Atlantic/Canary ES Atlantic Europe
      Atlantic/Cape_Verde CV Atlantic Africa
      Atlantic/Faeroe FO Atlantic Europe
      Atlantic/Jan_Mayen SJ Atlantic Europe
      Atlantic/Madeira PT Atlantic Europe
      Atlantic/Reykjavik IS Atlantic Europe
      Atlantic/South_Georgia GS Atlantic Oceania
      Atlantic/St_Helena SH Atlantic Africa
      Atlantic/Stanley FK Atlantic America
      Europe/Istanbul TR Europe Asia
      Indian/Antananarivo MG Indian Africa