TZ environment variable

Mark Davis mark.davis at jtcsv.com
Tue May 10 01:28:24 UTC 2005

I'm a little fuzzy about what you are talking about. If it is the internal
IDs (eg "Asia/Shanghai"), they should never contain anything but a very
constrained, locale-independent set:  A-Z, a-z, space, slash.

If you are talking about localized names, like "Heure avancée de Chine" or
"中国标准时间" or "Шанхай", those can't be limited in any way because we can't
know that the customary form is alphanumeric. But these *don't* belong in
the tz database in any event!

‎Mark