Maintainer of timezone/zdump.c

Paul Eggert eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU
Fri May 20 21:03:03 UTC 2005

tz at elsie.nci.nih.gov is it.  I'm removing the other CC's.

> I am running several dozen SuSE Linux systems and all of them show the same
> (incorrect) results when zdump is run for an "Etc/UTC+X" timezone.

The sign convention for Etc/UTC+X is purposely backwards from what you
expected.

> I've written a set of Perl timezone conversion routines which pull
> data from zdump. I've added a patch to my software which works
> around this problem with zdump, but I feel that zdump itself should
> be fixed to deal with this.

As far as I can see, zdump is correct, and so is zic.

My advice is to stay away from those TZ=Etc/* settings.  For details,
please see the long comment in the etcetera file in the tz
distribution.