Proposed time zone abbreviation changes

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Thu May 26 22:20:23 UTC 2005

    Date:        Thu, 26 May 2005 15:20:36 -0400 (EDT)
    From:        Arthur David Olson <olsona at lecserver.nci.nih.gov>

  | 4.	localtime.c is changed to restrict characters in
  |     abbreviations to [a-zA-Z0-9 :+-]

You probably ought include '_' in the set (just because, and as it
is certainly harmless).

  | 	and to restrict abbreviation lengths to 16

Is there any reason we need to keep insisting on a min length of 3
(and as a const in the code, rather than a #define) ?   A min length
of 1 seems like it would be better, if not very useful in practice
(though it would allow those bizarre US military zone names), but 2
could certainly be useful.

kre