Daylight Saving Time in Brazil

Paul Eggert eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU
Mon Oct 10 16:48:29 UTC 2005

Ronaldo Vasconcellos <ronaldo at cais.rnp.br> writes:

>     http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/TimePrecision-HOWTO/tz.html#tz.examples

[I'll CC: this message to Avi Alkalay, who maintains that web page,
so that he can correct its time zone abbreviations as he sees fit.]

As far as I can see, the abbreviations used in the above-referenced
table are merely examples and are not meant to be recommendations.
Abbreviations like "BRDT" would not correspond to common Brazilian
practice, which is to use the Portuguese equivalent of "summer time"
rather than "daylight time".

As is stated in the tz tables' comments, in 1999 I invented the
abbreviations BRT/BRST, AMT/AMST, etc., that are used in the current
tz tables for Brazil.  As far as I know nobody else has needed, or
uses, English-language acronyms for the Brazilian time zone.  However,
should an alternate tradition arise in practice, of course we'd prefer
to use the English-language abbreviations that people are actually
using, as opposed to abbreviations that we have invented.