Sri Lanka GMT offset adjustment

Jesper Norgaard Welen jnorgard at prodigy.net.mx
Fri Apr 14 07:02:55 UTC 2006

I have found a website that claims a different time for the GMT offset
change for Sri Lanka than we have in the present 2006c. The page
http://news.sinhalaya.com/wmview.php?ArtID=11002
claims the following:

13 April 2006 - 07:38
Change in Sri Lanka Standard Time

Ministers have approved a Cabinet Memorandum submitted by Disaster
Management and Human Rights Minister Mahinda Samarasinghe to revert the
clock by 30 minutes from April 14 midnight.

With the implementation of this decision, the Sri Lanka Standard Time (SLST)
reverts back to the zone GMT +5 1/2 hours, which was used prior to May 24,
1996 for over 50 years.

It is necessary to put the clock back by half an hour at 0030 hrs on April
15. This means 0030 hrs on April 15, 2006 (midnight of April 14, 2006 +30
minutes) at present, become 2400 hours of April 14, 2006 (midnight of April
14, 2006).
=== end of article ===

This is different than the tz database which will have the change at
midnight of the 13.th. of April, thus putting time back to 23:30 the 13.th.
of April.

Steffen Thorsen on
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/results.html?query=colombo however has
it from 13.th. of April at 0:30 returning to 13.th. of April 0:00, e.g.
almost 48 hours before news.sinhalay.com will have it. Perhaps Steffen could
enlighten us on his source (usually local web users)?

Although the article from news.sinhalay.com is not official, it is the first
one I have seen that gives explicit instructions about what time to adjust
the clocks. So who are we to believe?

Regards,

Jesper Nørgaard Welen
Email: jnorgard at Prodigy.Net.mx
Project Leader (Líder de Proyecto) Software
CIMMYT  -  Centro Internacional de Mejoramiento de Maíz y Trigo
Dirección: CIMMYT Int. c/o Jesper Nørgaard
Km. 45, Carretera México-Veracruz
El Batán
Texcoco, Edo. de México
CP 56130   MEXICO
Tel.:	+52 (55) 58-04-20-04  ext. 1374
Fax:	+52 (55) 58-04-75-58
Tel. Casa:   53-10-05-95  ó  53-10-97-78
Download the free program World Time Explorer, I made:
http://www.worldtimeexplorer.com/index.html