Some modifications of China related timezone info.

Paul Eggert eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU
Fri Apr 21 17:07:38 UTC 2006

"Zhe Su" <james.su at gmail.com> writes:

>   Unfortunately, most front ends (at least on GNU/Linux system) expose
> timezone identifiers like "Asia/Shanghai" to end users directly.

Then let's focus on getting those front ends fixed the way you like.

Which front ends are they?  The tz code ships only one front end,
called tzselect, which works as shown at the end of this message.
Note that at the crucial decision point, the user selects a #1 entry
labeled "Beijing".  So at least this front end works the way that you
like.  Perhaps all you need to do is to convince your distributors to
switch to tzselect.  Another possibility is for you to find out which
front ends people are using, and fix those front ends.

$ tzselect
Please identify a location so that time zone rules can be set correctly.
Please select a continent or ocean.
 1) Africa
 2) Americas
 3) Antarctica
 4) Arctic Ocean
 5) Asia
 6) Atlantic Ocean
 7) Australia
 8) Europe
 9) Indian Ocean
10) Pacific Ocean
11) none - I want to specify the time zone using the Posix TZ format.
#? 5
Please select a country.
 1) Afghanistan          18) Israel               35) Palestine
 2) Armenia              19) Japan                36) Philippines
 3) Azerbaijan           20) Jordan               37) Qatar
 4) Bahrain              21) Kazakhstan           38) Russia
 5) Bangladesh           22) Korea (North)        39) Saudi Arabia
 6) Bhutan               23) Korea (South)        40) Singapore
 7) Brunei               24) Kuwait               41) Sri Lanka
 8) Cambodia             25) Kyrgyzstan           42) Syria
 9) China                26) Laos                 43) Taiwan
10) Cyprus               27) Lebanon              44) Tajikistan
11) East Timor           28) Macau                45) Thailand
12) Georgia              29) Malaysia             46) Turkmenistan
13) Hong Kong            30) Mongolia             47) United Arab Emirates
14) India                31) Myanmar (Burma)      48) Uzbekistan
15) Indonesia            32) Nepal                49) Vietnam
16) Iran                 33) Oman                 50) Yemen
17) Iraq                 34) Pakistan
#? 9
Please select one of the following time zone regions.
1) east China - Beijing, Guangdong, Shanghai, etc.
2) Heilongjiang
3) central China - Gansu, Guizhou, Sichuan, Yunnan, etc.
4) Tibet & most of Xinjiang Uyghur
5) southwest Xinjiang Uyghur
#? 1

The following information has been given:

        China
        east China - Beijing, Guangdong, Shanghai, etc.

Therefore TZ='Asia/Shanghai' will be used.
Local time is now:      Sat Apr 22 01:03:53 CST 2006.
Universal Time is now:  Fri Apr 21 17:03:53 UTC 2006.
Is the above information OK?
1) Yes
2) No
#? 1

You can make this change permanent for yourself by appending the line
        TZ='Asia/Shanghai'; export TZ
to the file '.profile' in your home directory; then log out and log in again.

Here is that TZ value again, this time on standard output so that you
can use the ./tzselect command in shell scripts:
Asia/Shanghai