Africa/Asmera / Africa/Asmara

Paul Eggert eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU
Mon Dec 4 22:09:39 UTC 2006

Klaus Klein <kleink at netbsd.org> writes:

> Feedback from one of our users, forwarded with permission.  I've
> checked with the usual suspects (i.e., diplomatic services' web
> sites), which confirm the Asmara spelling.

Thanks for the info.  I assume the spelling changed around the time
Eritrea became independent in May 1993?  If so, we've had the "wrong"
name since we originally created the tz database entry in November
1993, and since "Asmera" dominates "Asmera" handily in Google and
Altavista I'm inclined to change the Zone name (putting in a backward
compatibility link) in my next proposed patch unless there's strong
sentiment otherwise.