zone and offset designators

LIVINGSTON Alex lial at mac.com
Tue Dec 19 05:36:02 UTC 2006

Original version sent 2006 December 09 23:22:04 GMT+11:00, but did not
make it to list. I have modified it (including the subject) slightly
since then.

I am not in favour of alphabetic abbreviations as designators of time
zones or time offsets.

First, their role is not well defined. Do they apply to