Predictable problems with 3-character time zones, especially the EST/EST5EDT split.

Masayoshi Okutsu Masayoshi.Okutsu at Sun.COM
Tue Dec 19 06:17:37 UTC 2006

In JDK 1.1, 3-letter time zone IDs, which I think came from the Taligent
OS, were used. "EST" is U.S. Eastern Time. Yes. It's confusing. Probably
S stands for Standard and Summer. :-)

When I took over the date/time API responsibility from IBM
(ex-Taligent), I decided to change the whole time zone support mechanism
in Java. The result went to J2SE 1.4. At that time I got a request that
Java support the full set of the tz database IDs. Then, I gave the
priority to the tz database IDs. "MET" (Middle East Time in JDK 1.1) was
changed at that time. When "EST", "MST", and "HST" were added in
tzdata2005r, if I remember correctly, I didn't change the "policy"...

I had to agree to support the "compatibility mode flag" to deal with the
conflicting requirements, tz database compatibility and JDK 1.1
compatibility. But I haven't implemented it yet...

Thanks,
Masayoshi