America/Edmonton and other zone naming issues

Paul Schauble Paul.Schauble at ticketmaster.com
Wed Feb 8 21:58:26 UTC 2006

We actually might be able to do that in the US. As far as I know, all of
these zone changes are done by country. The only exceptions I know of in
the states where incorporated cities are more or less equivalent to
counties.

So we might have
  America/Indiana/Pulaski		Pulaski County
  America/Arizona
  America/Navajo				Navajo reservation, or
America/Dineh

If we made links for America/<State>/<Jurisdiction> to whatever was
right, we would cover 99.9% of these changes without people needing to
change the name they use.
<Jurisdiction> is usually county, but could be an incorporated city or
an indian nation, or a few other things.

I think the real need, though, is to tie the zone name to the
jurisdiction making the change, and not to pick an arbitrary city as a
proxy for the deciding jurisdiction. Where an entire state follows the
same rules, don't create the county level.

Just for reference, the US has
	3,007 entities named "County"
	16 Boroughs in Alaska
	11 Census Areas in Alaska (for areas not organized into Boroughs
by the State)
	64 Parishes in Louisiana
	42 Independent Cities (1 in Maryland, 1 in Missouri, 1 in
Nevada, and the 	remainder in Virginia)
	1 District - the Federal District or District of Columbia.