America/Edmonton and other zone naming issues

Gwillim Law RLAW at nc.rr.com
Wed Feb 8 22:36:29 UTC 2006

> We actually might be able to do that in the US. As far as I know, all of
> these zone changes are done by country.

I assume that's a typo for "county".

> The only exceptions I know of in
> the states where incorporated cities are more or less equivalent to
> counties.

There are numerous exceptions that don't follow county lines.  Nine counties
are split between two time zones; also, the Navajo reservation (excluding
Hopi partitioned lands) includes parts of several counties, and the line
between Alaska Time and Hawaii-Aleutian Time doesn't coincide with
jurisdictional boundaries.  The independent cities are nowhere near time
zone borders, by the way.

--    Gwillim Law