Hiccup in Easter Island 1982

Jesper Norgaard Welen jnorgard at prodigy.net.mx
Wed Feb 22 07:26:58 UTC 2006

It seems unlikely that Easter Island changed from GMT-6 to GMT-7 for 4
hours (from 20 to 24) on 14 th. of March 1982, and then switched back to
GMT-6. Rather it is more likely they stayed on the same time, by
changing from one rule to another on 13.th of March at 21:00, which
results in no time change at all on 13.th. or 14.th. of March in Easter
Island.

I don't know if this is something zic mends, but at least the Jodatime
java package which uses the tz data directly, reflects this double DST
change in their extracted data files, while Jodatime handles gracefully
(zic-like) the hiccups of this type that only lasts for an hour (for
instance the Knox Indiana change that was discussed earlier).

Old rule:
	 		-7:00	Chile	EAS%sT	1982 Mar 14 # Easter I
Time
			-6:00	Chile	EAS%sT
New rule:
 			-7:00	Chile	EAS%sT	1982 Mar 13 21:00 #
Easter I Time
			-6:00	Chile	EAS%sT

Regards,
- Jesper

Jesper Nørgaard Welen
Email: jnorgard at Prodigy.Net.mx
Project Leader (Líder de Proyecto) Software
CIMMYT  -  Centro Internacional de Mejoramiento de Maíz y Trigo
Dirección: CIMMYT Int. c/o Jesper Nørgaard
Km. 45, Carretera México-Veracruz
El Batán
Texcoco, Edo. de México
CP 56130   MEXICO
Tel.:	+52 (55) 58-04-20-04  ext. 1374
Fax:	+52 (55) 58-04-75-58
Tel. Casa:   53-10-05-95  ó  53-10-97-78
Download the free program World Time Explorer, I made:
http://www.cimmyt.org/timezone/index.htm