Macau use of PRC

Paul Eggert eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU
Wed Feb 22 18:43:52 UTC 2006

Jesper Norgaard Welen <jnorgard at prodigy.net.mx> writes:

> In the asia file, there is a rule PRC defined which is used for quite a
> number of timezones:
> However, putting it to use in Macau seems superfluous since the PRC rule
> is inactive since 1991, and it is implemented for Macau only in december
> 1999:

It is superfluous now, but if the PRC ever reinstitutes DST it will
almost certainly apply to Asia/Macau as well, so I suspect it's
somewhat more likely to be less work in the future if we just leave
things be now.

I suspect Hong Kong would be similar as far as DST, but I've held off
on touching Hong Kong since my vague impression is that "HKT" is still
more popular than "CST" as an English-language abbreviation for the
time in Hong Kong.