DOT issues final ruling on Indiana time zones

Deborah Goldsmith goldsmit at apple.com
Thu Jan 19 00:37:52 UTC 2006

The DOT final ruling on Indiana came out today:
http://www.dot.gov/affairs/dot0406.htm

Based on my reading of this document, only one zone in tzdata is
affected, America/Indiana/Knox. That zone will start observing US
Central Time starting April 2, 2006, at the time of the switchover to
Daylight Savings Time. Probably the easiest thing to do is to change
the last two lines as follows:

From:
			-5:00	-	EST	2006
			-5:00	US	E%sT
to:
			-5:00	-	EST	2006 Apr 2 2:00
			-5:00	US	C%sT

assuming I'm interpreting everything correctly. The DOT doesn't
specify whether Starke county switch to Central Time at the
appropriate time for its old or new time zone, but I'm assuming the
old here. That leads to it falling back from 2:00AM EST to 1:00AM
CST, and then again from 2:00AM CST to 1:00AM CST. If that makes
people nervous, then the transition would need to be at 3:00 AM.

Deborah Goldsmith
Internationalization, Unicode liaison
Apple Computer, Inc.
goldsmit at apple.com