DOT issues final ruling on Indiana time zones

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Fri Jan 20 07:54:15 UTC 2006

    Date:        Thu, 19 Jan 2006 14:32:30 -0800
    From:        Deborah Goldsmith <goldsmit at apple.com>

  | If it went from 1:59:59 to 2:00:00, then
  | Knox would be on CDT an hour before the rest of its time zone. Now,
  | that actually makes sense (clocks wouldn't have to change), but it's
  | not what the DOT ruling says. It says "Starke county moves from ET to
  | CT at the moment of the DST transition in the ET zone."

I bet if asked, that's what they tell you they expect to happen, and I'd
bet that in practice, no-one in that county changes their clocks, whatever
the DOT ruling actually says if you treat it literally.

If you want to remain in line with the time that people actually use
I think the change in the tz files should simply have the time advance
forward with no gaps or discontinuities for this particular transition,
and the zone name change at any time that seems reaosnable (given that the
zone name doesn't really matter to anything anyway - CST after all is
the time in Adelaide, Australia, which is UTC+10:30, it is also the zone
name in Adelaide in winter - UTC+09:30...

kre