Bug or feature?

Jesper Norgaard Welen jnorgard at prodigy.net.mx
Sun Jan 22 04:52:26 UTC 2006

Paul,

This is truely mindboggling. I am just as baffled as Deborah Goldsmith.
The
only way I can explain this behavior of the software is if the rule of
the
second line is applied on the time of the first line, at the moment of
UNTIL for the first line, determining that isdst=1 and only then
applying
GMT offset -6 of the second line. That is not very logical when reading
these 2 lines, and there is no documentation of this in e.g. zdump.8.txt
or
more relevant in zic.8.txt. However, if all the tz zone lines have been
made
with this "feature" then to change it to the more logical interpretation
of Deborah and me is not an easy task. But at least the documentation
should
be updated to clearly specify what happens in the process of a zone line
transition.

I would thus like to know what happens with the following similar
example

			-5:00	-	EST	2006 Apr  2 2:01
			-6:00	US	C%sT

Since the UNTIL time/date and the DST application in the US rule don't
coincide, I assume this would be the result:

1:59:59 EST
2:00:00 EST
2:00:59 EST
1:01:00 CST
..
1:59:59 CST
3:00:00 CDT

or is there another inheritance scheme taking place?

Regards,
Jesper Nørgaard Welen