off-by-one-hour error in OST Docket No. 2005-22114

Andy Lipscomb AndyLipscomb at decosimo.com
Mon Jan 23 14:12:10 UTC 2006

PLS> Doesn't the first proposal have the problem that there is no 2:59:59 EST, the Eastern zone having changed to DST?

It really just requires the same caveat as the second one--that they will be on EST even with the rest of the Eastern zone having adopted EDT, for that one hour.

[snipping down to the proposals...]
Our correspondents have suggested two different ways out of this problem.
First, and perhaps simplest, you could change the effective time of the rule from 2:00 a.m. EST to 3:00 a.m. EST.  This will result in the following
transition:

   02:59:59 EST
   ... and then, one second later,...
   03:00:00 CDT

Second, if you prefer sticking to a 2:00 a.m. transition, you could append the following sentences:

   Counties that move from the Eastern to the Central Time Zone will
   switch directly from EST to CDT, so that their clocks need not
   change.  From 2:00 a.m. CDT to 3:00 a.m. CDT these clocks will use
   CDT even though the rest of the Central Time Zone will still be
   using CST.

This would result in the following transition:

   01:59:59 EST
   ... and then, one second later,...
   02:00:00 CDT