Docket No. 2005-22114

Paul Eggert eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU
Tue Jan 24 17:58:29 UTC 2006

Rodrigo Severo <rodrigo.lists at fabricadeideias.com> writes:

> On 1/23/06, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
>
>     It is a bit ironic that the US is less efficient than Brazil in fixing
>     obviously-broken regulations like this.
>
> I'm  sorry but I have to ask: where is the irony in this? I hope the answer
> isn't obvious to people from US and I'm not seeing it just because I'm
> brazilian ;)

I was referring to the common misperception in the US that Brazil has
a bureaucracy that is less efficient than ours.  Please see, for example,
<http://www.infobrazil.com/Conteudo/Front_Page/Analysis/Conteudo.asp?ID_Noticias=985&ID_Area=2&ID_Grupo=8>
and look for "inefficient government bureaucracy".

(Since you're in Brazil, you know better, which explains why the joke
didn't make sense to you.  :-)

This is getting a bit off-topic, but I felt I should try to explain my
attempt at a joke that in retrospect was poorly worded.  Sorry about that.