Upcoming Indiana time zone moves

Paul Eggert eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU
Wed Jan 25 00:02:57 UTC 2006

Arthur David Olson <olsona at elsie.nci.nih.gov> writes:

> + If you want two separate transitions
> + (for example,
> + a one-hour retreat from
> + U. S. Eastern Standard Time
> + U. S. Central Standard Time
> + followed one hour later by a one-hour advance to
> + U. S. Central Daylight Time),
> + you can artificially
> + (and slightly inaccurately)
> + specify the UTC offset change as occuring a single second too early.

I found that you can do it without the one-second glitch, by coding
the transitions by hand, as follows.

Zone Hypothetical       -5:00   -       EST     2006 Apr  2 7:00u
                        -6:00   -       CST     2006 Apr  2 8:00u
                        -6:00   1:00    CDT     2006 Apr  2 9:00u
                        -6:00   US      C%sT

I couldn't figure out any way to do it with just two transitions,
which would be the obvious way to do it.  (Nor could I do it with wall
clock time; I had to resort to UTC.)

Admittedly this is kind of kludgy.  I suppose zic could make it easier
to shoot yourself in the foot, though surely this is low priority.