Upcoming Indiana time zone moves

Paul Eggert eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU
Mon Jan 30 07:06:30 UTC 2006

Jesper Norgaard Welen <jnorgard at prodigy.net.mx> writes:

> Zone Hypothetical       -5:00   US      E%st    2006 Apr  2 2:00
>                         -6:00   1:00    CDT     2006 Apr  2 3:00
>                         -6:00   US      C%sT

Yes, that is the sort of thing that zic used to require, but it was
error-prone to require two zic transitions for one "real-world"
transition in many common cases, and this caused multiple errors in
the tz database.

I agree that what zic does now is a bit confusing, but what zic used
to require was even more confusing in practice.  If any change is to
be made here, I'd prefer to change to something that is better.