Possible corrections?

Oscar van Vlijmen ovv at hetnet.nl
Mon Jul 3 11:00:26 UTC 2006

>> From: "srdjan krajnalic"
>> In this case the problem is that the RULE NAME is "1:00" which is not
>> typical. Typically, names are something like GB-Eire or C-Eur. So my problem
>> is that I'm not sure what to do with what appears to be extra or invalid
>> data.

> From: Oscar van Vlijmen
> The problem is not unique. There are many such instances in all data files,
> where a rule name appears to be a time offset.

I should have added: this is explained in the zic manual:
<quote>
     RULES/SAVE
           The name of the rule(s) that apply in the time zone
           or, alternately, an amount of time to add to local
           standard time.  If this field is - then standard time
           always applies in the time zone.
</quote>

For independent developers it would have been more convenient if the TZ
database were constructed according to more common database markup rules
like:

1) ONE type of field separator, for instance one tab, not any white space.
2) No empty first fields on continuation lines.
3) ONE datatype / meaning per field.

Suggested action: none.
The TZ applications work as advertized and the usability of the TZ database
outside the primary application is not guaranteed.

Sorry for my annoying remarks, but the independent TZ database users keep
coming and they apparently get easily confused by the current structure or
markup of the data files.