America/Moncton (2007)

Chris Walton Chris.Walton at telus.com
Tue Jul 11 15:24:56 UTC 2006

The Canadian rules that appear in tzdata 2006d were actually created with two assumptions:

Assumption #1:
It was assumed that all regions of Canada that observe daylight saving will follow the US dates starting in 2007.
All the Canadian zones that observe daylight saving were updated accordingly.

Assumption #2:
It was assumed that New Brunswick and Newfoundland would continue to switch the clocks at 12:01am as they have done for years.

The first assumption has not been proved right or wrong yet.
We have not heard from governments of:
 Yukon
 Newfoundland & Labrador
 Nunavut
 Saskatchewan
 City of Lloydminster
All the other governments have committed to make the change.

The second assumption proved to be incorrect.
Starting in 2007, New Brunswick will be switching the clocks at 2:00am instead of 12:01am.
This means a minor update is required for America/Moncton.
The current rule will force a transition to ADT at 12:01am on March 11/2007 instead of 2:00am on March 11/2007.
I doubt many people are actually using America/Moncton since it was only introduced in 2006a.
Based on the e-mails from Paul I think we can expect to see this fixed in 2006h.

Does this answer everybody's questions?

-chris