FW: New countries/territories

Mark Davis mark.davis at icu-project.org
Mon Jul 24 20:29:56 UTC 2006

We would prefer, for testing purposes, that there be at least one TZ
identifier for every ISO country code, even uninhabited rocks like BV.
However, that principle doesn't extend to the reserved codes, which have no
UN M.49 numeric code (the basis for the ISO codes), and in many cases are
reserved only by historical accident -- it doesn't mean that they will ever
be used as country codes. Cf.
http://unstats.un.org/unsd/methods/m49/m49alpha.htm

Note that Serbia and Montenegro have also been given separate UN codes since
their recent split; ISO lags, however, in assigning them alphabetic codes,
so it is unclear how long it will be until they are assigned.

Mark