Chinese timezones

Jesper Norgaard Welen jnorgard at prodigy.net.mx
Sat Jun 24 05:32:29 UTC 2006

The chinese timezones don't have much description in the tz database. I am
currently trying to make a map of the worlds timezones base on the Olson
database, and so I miss some more information about what these timezones
cover.

* Asia/Harbin seems to cover the Heilongjiang region, no less no more.

* Asia/Chongqing is a city lying in the Sichuan province, which is huge, so
does the timezone represent all of the province?

* Asia/Urumqi covers the Xinjiang province, but represents a definition
problem since Kashgar also lies in the far western part of this province, so
what does timezone Asia/Kashgar represent? Asia/Urumqi timezone according to
the comments in the 'asia' file also covers Tibet, which lies in the Xizang
province, that is huge stretching from Kashmir to Myanmar, so I don't know
if all of this is covered by the Asia/Urumqi timezone alone.

* Asia/Shanghai covers all the rest of China as I understand it. This is the
timezone there was recently a discussion about changing to Asia/Beijing, I
believe.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

- Jesper Nørgaard Welen