Canada timezones (2007)

Chris Walton Chris.Walton at telus.com
Tue Jun 27 04:29:23 UTC 2006

Patrice,

If you want the short answer: we are still waiting to hear from Yukon, Nunavut, Newfoundland, and Saskatchewan.
Before you write back and claim that Saskatchewan does not observe daylight time, please read the detail below.

The other provinces and territories have either passed (or committed to pass) new legislation which will extend daylight time by four weeks.

Version 2006d of the Olson database was updated to reflect an assumption that all provinces and territories will eventually follow the US rules by extending daylight saving.

Here is the gory detail:

Province of British Columbia:
 YES. BC will follow US rules.
 I don't know what the status of the legislation is at this time.
 The change is documented under regulation 136/2006 but I can't find this regulation on line.
 ###
 News Release:
  http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_releases_2005-2009/2006AG0014-000330.htm

Province of Alberta:
 YES. Alberta will follow US rules.
 ###
  Daylight Saving Amendment Act:
  http://www.qp.gov.ab.ca/documents/Acts/2006CH03_UNPR.cfm?frm_isbn=0779744934

City of Lloydminster:
 Lloydminster is a cross-border city; it straddles the Alberta-Saskatchewan border.
 Time on both sides of the provincial is governed by the "Lloydminster Charter".
 No word yet if the charter will be updated.
 I think we can assume that the people of Lloydminster will continue the tradition of
 keeping the clocks in sync with Alberta regardless of whether or not the charter is updated.
 ###
 Here are two links to the charter:
 Lloydminster charter (Government of Alberta web site):
  http://www.qp.gov.ab.ca/Documents/REGS/1979_043.CFM
 Lloydminster charter (Government of Saskatchewan web site):
  http://www.qp.gov.sk.ca/documents/english/Statutes/Historical/lloydchr.pdf

Province of Saskatchewan:
 I am not aware of any announcements or new legislation.
 Most of the province does not use daylight time.
 The Battle Creek which includes Lloydminster does observe daylight time.
 The portion of the Battle Creek region that falls outside of the Lloydminster city limits
 and on the east side of the provincial border is covered by the Saskatchewan Time Act.
 I think we can assume that everybody in Battle Creek region will keep the clocks in sync with
 Alberta regardless or whether or not the Saskatchewan Time Act is updated.
 ###
 The Saskatchewan time act which was last updated in 1996 is about 30 pages long and rather painful to read.
 Here is a link to the old act:
  http://www.qp.gov.sk.ca/documents/English/Statutes/Statutes/T14.pdf

Province of Manitoba:
 YES. Manitoba will follow US rules.
 Note: Manitoba has traditionally changed the clock every fall at 3:00 a.m.
       As of 2006, the transition is to take place one hour earlier at 2:00 a.m.
 ###
 The Official Time Act:
  http://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/statutes/ccsm/o030e.php

Province of Ontario:
 YES.  Ontario will follow US rules.
 ###
 Ontario regulation 111/06 made under the Time Act
  http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/Source/Regs/English/2006/R06111_e.htm

Province of Quebec:
 YES. Quebec will follow US rules.
 ###
 Bill 2 Legal Time Act:
  http://www.assnat.qc.ca/eng/37legislature2/Projets-loi/Publics/06-a002.htm

Province of New Brunswick:
 YES.  New Brunswick will follow US rules.
 Note: New Brunswick has traditionally changed the clocks in the spring and fall at 12:01 a.m.
       As of 2007, the transition is to take place 119 minutes later at 2:00 a.m.
       This will eliminate the excitement of having the date roll backwards.
       Unfortunately it means a minor update is required to the Olson database.
 ###
 An Act to Amend the Time Definition Act:
  http://www.gnb.ca/0062/acts/BBA-2006/Chap-19.pdf

Province of Nova Scotia:
 YES. Nova Scotia will follow the US rules.
 I don't know what the status of the legislation is at this time.
 ###
 News Release:
 http://www.gov.ns.ca/news/details.asp?id=20060425004

Province of Prince Edward Island:
 YES. P.E.I. will follow US rules.
 The new legislation is not law yet. It passed first reading on April 20.
 ###
 Bill No. 101, An Act to Amend the Time Uniformity Act
  http://www.assembly.pe.ca/bills/pdf_first/62/3/bill-101.pdf

Province of Newfoundland and Labrador
 NO commitment yet (that I know of).
 The change is being considered.
 ###
 There is a reference to the issue in this government news release:
  http://www.releases.gov.nl.ca/releases/2006/mpa/0331n01.htm

Yukon Territory:
 I have no evidence to suggest that the government has discussed the issue.
 ###
 Here is a link to the old daylight saving portion of the interpretation act which was last updated in 1987:
  http://www.gov.yk.ca/legislation/regs/oic1987_056.pdf

Northwest Territories:
 YES. N.W.T will follow US rules.
 ###
 Whoever maintains the government web site does not seem to believe in bookmarks.
 To see the news release, click the following link and search for "Daylight Savings Time Change"
 Press the "Daylight Savings Time Change" link; it will fire off a popup using JavaScript.
  http://www.exec.gov.nt.ca/currentnews/currentPR.asp?mode=archive

Nunavut:
 I have no evidence to suggest that the government has formally discussed the issue.
 The premier made an off the wall in August of 2005 saying that he did not want to touch the issue.
 Regardless, I expect the people of Nunavut won't want to be out of sync with the rest of the continent and the issue will have to be addressed.
  Here is a link to the old daylight saving portion of the interpretation act which was last updated in 1990:
   http://action.attavik.ca/home/justice-gn/attach-en_conlaw_prediv/reg127.pdf

-chris