FW: Time Zone Area Polygons

Brak Brak at neo.rr.com
Thu Jun 29 20:39:42 UTC 2006

Paul Eggert wrote:

>"Olson, Arthur David \(NIH/NCI\) [E]" <olsona at dc37a.nci.nih.gov> writes:
>

>>I have read at several websites about there being time zone area polygon
>>lists. For example a file called New_Yok.geo.
>>

>That'd be news to me.  Good news.  Can you give URLs for this?
>
>I just now Googled for New_York.geo, but all I found was Doug Royer's
>expired draft proposal for a registry for such data
><http://ietfreport.isoc.org/idref/draft-royer-timezone-registry/>.  As
>far as I know, this has not been implemented.  I have seen technical
>recommendations for a time zone service that might contain the data
>you're talking about
><http://www.calconnect.org/publications/timezoneregistryandservicerecommendationsv1.0.pdf>,
>once it gets implemented.

The item google gave you is the site that I heard about it.

>>So can you please direct me to where I can download the timezone area
>>polygons.
>>

>Some timezone area data is mentioned under "Time zone boundaries" in
><http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm>.  You can look there, but I
>suspect it won't be exactly what you want.

The only one that looks to have potential was the link to
http://www.manifold.net/download/freemaps.html
On that site they have a link to a TZ boundary database
ftp://69.17.46.170/downloads/free_world/WorldTZ.zip
But that link keeps timing out. i did a search for the file itself under
google, and the two "mirrors" for it are down as well.

Do you happen to know how to get this file?

Thanks in advance.

B"H
John