proposed tz changes - Curacao

Paul Eggert eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU
Fri Mar 31 20:22:27 UTC 2006

Ken Pizzini <tz. at explicate.org> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 02:56:59PM +0200, Oscar van Vlijmen wrote:
>> By the way, Curacao, a country entry in the TZ database, is not a country.
>
> I'm not seeing where it is claimed that Curaçao is a country.
> America/Curaco simply references the island as the largest
> localized concentration of population of those places that
> share its time zone.

I think he was objecting to the "# Curacao" comment.

I suppose he's right, but the Netherlands Antilles are scheduled to be
split up next year, and there's a lot of discussion/negotiation going
on and I haven't a clue as to what will really happen.

Perhaps it's best to stick with the current setup until the dust
settles and we can change to the new situation.  At that point we may
want to remove America/Aruba and alias it (for backwards
compatibility) to America/Curacao.  It'd seem a bit odd to have a
separate entry for each island in the group (or, in Sint Maarten's
case, half-island!), considering they're all part of the Netherlands
in one way or the other and they all share the same time zone history
since 1970.