tz list searchable on Google

Paul Eggert eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU
Mon May 22 18:40:22 UTC 2006

Chuck Soper <chucks2 at veladg.com> writes:

> Right now the tz list is very focused and low volume.

That's because Arthur filters out the spam.
Mere exposure via Google wouldn't change that.

What exposure might change is:

   (1) Arthur might have more spam to filter, if more spammers notice
   the list and send email to it.

   (2) Spammers might send email to you directly after harvesting your
   address, bypassing the tz list entirely.

(1) is unimportant, since the mailing list address itself is already
widely available.

(2) is an issue, but it isn't that big a deal, I think.  The gmane
archive shrouds email addresses in a silly security-through-obscurity
mechanism that probably works well enough in practice.  I suppose it's
a bit like tzarchive.gz in that respect.

I like having searchable archives, and I like having the contents of
the email (not counting email addresses) being public.  If the tz list
went underground its utility would be greatly reduced.

People who want to send email anonymously to the list can do so
indirectly by emailing it to me.