Nipigon and Atikokan

Chris Walton Chris.Walton at telus.com
Wed Nov 1 04:31:07 UTC 2006

Jesper,

I don't know how much accuracy you need.
I used a combination of the maps I sent you plus Garmin's Topo Canada to come of with some coordinates that I think are pretty close.

Atikokan Township:
Northern boundary:   48 degrees 50 minutes 0 seconds N
Eastern boundary:    91 degrees 30 minutes 0 seconds W
Southern boundary:   48 degrees 40 minutes 0 seconds N
Western boundary:    91 degrees 45 minutes 0 seconds W
If you wish to include Quetico Provincial Park it gets more complicated because it is not square.

Nipigon Township:
Northern boundary:   49 degrees 02 minutes 20 seconds N
Eastern boundary:    88 degrees 14 minutes 0 seconds W
Southern boundary:   49 degrees 00 minutes 0 seconds N
Western boundary:    88 degrees 26 minutes 0 seconds W

Note: the Township of "Red Rock" lies immediately south of the Township of Nipigon.
My guess is that Red Rock has probably always followed Nipigon time. I have no proof and I don't wish to start making up history.
Unless anybody has information Red Rock's time practices prior to 1974 we should keep "America/Nipigon" confined to Nipigon Township.

-chris