Quetico (and other places in NW Ontario)

Jesper Norgaard Welen jnorgard at prodigy.net.mx
Sun Nov 5 20:20:18 UTC 2006

Chris,

The map you sent of the Quetico park overview is more than sufficient for me
to make a reasonable timezone. After all this is not rocket science, I'm
intending to give an overview of the timezone for visual use, not for
calculating if a specific latitude/longitude is inside the timezone or not.
I'm using an ESRI shapefile map, you can check it out from downloading World
Time Explorer beta version from
http://www.worldtimeexplorer.com/wt20beta.zip and unzip and install it. I
can give you a free full license if you want, so you can generate map colors
for a specific date between 1850 and today. Otherwise the shareware version
will give you 30 days of playing around, and the colors should correspond
until 2007, except for a possible (undecided) change in West Australia of
course! And PS, I presume you have (access to) a Windows PC, otherwise it
will not be of much use! Linux die-hards, sorry!

I was wondering if my border between Rainy_River (on GMT-6) area and the
rest of Ontario (on GMT-5) is wrong, supposedly it should divide around 90°
while in reality it divides around -89.34. This is from another map source
where I copied this border from, but perhaps for timezone use I should move
the border.

It would be nice if you could plot the points from Quetico park (100 points
would be fine, perhaps even too much). I don't know if you have a
possibility to output to an ESRI shapefile. If not, a collection of the pure
latitude/longitudes would be fine (decimal please, not radix 60).

I will consider your comments about America/Winnipeg being one hour off each
year, but it seems that even tz database is correct in this case? It looks
like this:

# From Paul Eggert (2006-04-10):
# Shanks & Pottenger say Manitoba switched at 02:00 (not 02:00s)
# starting 1966.  Since 02:00s is clearly correct for 1967 on, assume
# it was also 02:00s in 1966.

Rule	Winn	1963	only	-	Sep	22	2:00	0	S
Rule	Winn	1966	1986	-	Apr	lastSun	2:00s	1:00	D
Rule	Winn	1966	2005	-	Oct	lastSun	2:00s	0	S
Rule	Winn	1987	2005	-	Apr	Sun>=1	2:00s	1:00	D
# Zone	NAME		GMTOFF	RULES	FORMAT	[UNTIL]
Zone America/Winnipeg	-6:28:36 -	LMT	1887 Jul 16
			-6:00	Winn	C%sT	2006
			-6:00	Canada	C%sT

Since 2:00s standard time means 3:00 local time when leaving DST, we're OK?

What would be the difference between the Kenora timezone and the others?

Regards,
- Jesper