Quetico (and other places in NW Ontario)

Paul Eggert eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU
Mon Nov 6 17:13:16 UTC 2006

"Chris Walton" <Chris.Walton at telus.com> writes:

> You asked what the difference between a "Kenora" time zone and the
> other time zones would be.  Assuming Kenora has been using DST since
> 1970 (which I don't have proof of) ...
>

> Is there any way to flag some of the old historical zones such that
> they don't appear when running "tzselect"?

We could have a table for people who don't care about historical times,
which maps zone names to "modern" zone names, and tzselect could have
an option to use that table.

> Paul E.,
> If you are reading, do you have any opinions on whether or not a new zone should be added?

Since we don't have reliable data about the difference between Kenora
and its neighbors, I'm inclined to leave it alone for now.  But if
we get reliable data, we should probably create a new zone.  It is
possible that our data for Rainy River are wrong as well, so perhaps
no new zone would be needed.

> The zone.tab file currently indicates that America/Rainy_River should be used for Rainy River and Fort Frances.
> The town of Fort Frances has a population of 8315.
> The town of Rainy River has a population of 981.
> How come it was not called America/Fort_Frances?

Because I didn't know that when I created the table.  :-)

I suppose it should be renamed....