Windows patch for Western Australia

Jesper Norgaard Welen jnorgard at prodigy.net.mx
Thu Nov 23 05:33:06 UTC 2006

Ouch, I just prepared the corrections of the australasia file that Andy
McDonald and Robert Elz sent - that had to go to the recycle bin again  8-(

For those of you that wonder how to set up a PC (XP) situated in Western
Australia, to change time automatically, I'm afraid that Microsoft as usual
won't be of much help in timezone matters (I wonder if they will make a
patch for USA for next year? No word on it yet).

Here is a cookbook recipe, which hasn't been tested but I think it will
work:

Save the following into the file Perth2006.reg:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Time
Zones\Australian Western Std. Time]
"Display"="(GMT+08:00) Perth"
"Dlt"="Australia Western Daylight Time"
"TZI"=hex:20,fe,ff,ff,00,00,00,00,c4,ff,ff,ff,00,00,04,00,00,00,01,00,03,00,
00,\
  00,00,00,00,00,00,00,0c,00,00,00,01,00,02,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

Then double click on the file Perth2006.reg from Windows Explorer, which
will introduce the timezone in the registry. Now select the timezone
"(GMT+08:00) Perth" from the Date & Time of Control Panel. Be sure to select
automatically update time in the checkbox. Now your PC time should change
automatically 3.rd. of December 2006.

Any experiences with the above recipe are welcome.

Regards,
- Jesper