Faeroe

Jesper Norgaard Welen jnorgard at prodigy.net.mx
Tue Nov 28 07:25:05 UTC 2006

In Danish, my native language, the Faroe Islands is written Færøerne. In
situations where only
128-letters ASCII is available, the three extra letters æ, ø and å are
written ae, oe and aa,
as can be seen from the wikipedia page "Danish". Actually I received the
danish news in email
for quite a number of years with all special letters converted by a program
of the author, and
then I had my own little conversion program to get æøå back again! Thus I
would receive Færøerne
as Faeroeerne.

I think it is a bit of a curiosity that the correct English spelling
(undoubtedly) is Faroe Islands,
because the pronunciation is much more more like "fair" than "far".

- Jesper