Kazakhstan question

Jesper Norgaard Welen jnorgard at prodigy.net.mx
Thu Sep 14 04:15:43 UTC 2006

Using astro.com I found some interesting information.

Atyrau is known as Gurjev in astro.com, and was on LMT until 1 Jan 1931
then GMT+3 (no DST) until 1 Jan 1941
then GMT+4 (no DST) until 1 Jan 1946
then GMT+3 (no DST) until 1 Jan 1964
then GMT+4 (no DST) until 1 Apr 1981
then GMT+6 (with DST) etc. until 1 Oct 1981 ...

Aqtobe is known as Akt'ubinsk in astro.com, and was on LMT until 1 Jan 1931
then GMT+4 (no DST) until 1 Jan 1941
then GMT+5 (no DST) until 1 Jan 1946
then GMT+4 (no DST) until 1 Jan 1964
then GMT+5 (no DST) until 1 Apr 1981
then GMT+6 (with DST) etc. until 1 Oct 1981 ...

I don't know how much we should believe this, but at least it suggests that
there are quite a number of differences between astro.com data and the tz
database, and besides that Atyrau might be a time zone in it's own. I
couldn't find the location Aqtau, perhaps a spelling problem.

Comments?

Regards,
- Jesper