Question on abbreviations

Mark Davis mark.davis at icu-project.org
Wed Sep 27 21:37:58 UTC 2006

The documentation is in zic.8.txt.

I share your confusion. If Paul (Eggert's) description is right, then I have
to ignore the TO field in some circumstances which are entirely unclear to
me. I would much rather see the TO field corrected. That is, if TO=1942 is
ignored, and 1945 is the real date, then the line should be corrected to
TO=1945.

There are other failures in the parsing. My error messages are:

??? Format too short: '' under Europe/Amsterdam;
??? Format too short: 'S' under Europe/Amsterdam;
??? Format too short: '' under Europe/Moscow;
??? Format too short: 'S' under Europe/Moscow;

I looked into why this is happening, and found:

Zone Europe/Amsterdam    0:19:32 -    LMT    1835
            0:19:32    Neth    %s    1937 Jul  1

But the first LETTER/S defined by Neth is in 1916, so during the range from
1835 to 1916 this is undefined. If the LETTER/S are magically also defined
*before* the first FROM, that should be described in the specification.

Mark

BTW, the documentation was a first a bit confusing to me, since it says that
fields are delimited by spaces, and lists a single Zone UNTIL field.
However, if you look carefully at the documentation, there are really 4
fields:

UNTIL_YEAR UNTIL_IN UNTIL_ON UNTIL_AT

which are optional [but only in "truncation" from the end: that is, it
corresponds to the (Perl) regex (UNTIL_YEAR (UNTIL_IN (UNTIL_ON
(UNTIL_AT)?)?)?)?].

I'm not the only one to have initially made this mistake: the proposed XML
format for the TZ database makes the same mistake.