Question on abbreviations

Mark Davis mark.davis at icu-project.org
Thu Sep 28 21:54:03 UTC 2006

The change to [UNTILYEAR [MONTH [DAY [TIME]]]] is much clearer for anyone
parsing the file.

A few other items.

TYPE    Gives the type of year in which the rule applies.

As far as I can tell, this is always "-". Might be nice to have a note
indicating the last time this was necessary. (I hope it never becomes
necessary to use in the future, since that makes the file unparseable by
anything but zic.)

     SAVE    Gives the amount of time to be added to local
             standard time when the rule is in effect.  This
             field has the same format as the AT field (although,
             of course, the w and s suffixes are not used).

It doesn't mention the "u (or g or z)" suffixes. If those are also
disallowed, they should be mentioned; or the text could be phrased as "of
course, the letter suffixes are not used".

     GMTOFF
           The amount of time to add to UTC to get standard time
           in this zone.  This field has the same format as the
           AT and SAVE fields of rule lines; begin the field with
           a minus sign if time must be subtracted from UTC.

This is incorrect, since the AT and SAVE fields don't have the same format:
I presume it is the SAVE format, so "AT and" should be deleted.

Mark