proposal to advance of the Indian Standard Time by half an hour to being 6 hours ahead UTC.

Alex Krivenyshev worldtimezone at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 23 00:12:13 UTC 2007

There is a  proposal to advance of the Indian Standard Time (UTC + 5:30) by
half an hour to being 6 hours ahead of the Universal Coordinated Time
(UTC + 06) and to reject suggestion for introducing multiple time zones
and/or DST.

Here are excerpts from an article that appeared in the Indian publication
"Energy savings from advancing the Indian Standard Time by half an hour", by
Dilip R. Ahuja and D. P. Sen Gupta,
National Institute of Advanced Studies, IISc Campus, Bangalore; CURRENT
SCIENCE, 298 VOL. 93, NO. 3

http://www.worldtimezone.com/dst_news/dst_news_india01.html

The proposal
We propose that we advance, once and for, all IST from being the time at the
82.5°E long. (Mirzapur District, Uttar Pradesh) to 90°E
(Bengal-Assam border), i.e. from being 5 h 30 min ahead of UTC to being 6 h
ahead of UTC and that we do not cycle the clocks annually.

If this proposal of advancing IST is found acceptable, we believe that 1-2
years would suffice to plan for a smooth transition.

Alex Krivenyshev, WTZ.com
http://www.worldtimezone.com/dst_news/
New York, NY