About Australasia New Zeland DST

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Thu Aug 23 08:47:09 UTC 2007

    Date:        Thu, 23 Aug 2007 10:10:25 +0200
    From:        Stefano Scarponi <stefano.scarponi at it.ibm.com>

  | What I notice is that into this link:
  | http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.nsf/wpg_URL/Services-Daylight-Saving-Index?OpenDocument
  |
  | it is stated:
  | ______________
  |
  |  "From this year, Daylight Saving will run for a period of 27 weeks. It now
  |  commences from the last Sunday in September, when 2.00am becomes 3.00am,
  |  and ends on the first Sunday in April the following year, when 3.00am
  |  becomes 2.00am.

That is correct.

  | Instead into the Australasia table :
  |
  | Rule  NZ    2008  max   -     Apr   Sun>=1      2:00s 0     S
  |
  | instead of 3:00 ...

Not instead of, but "another way of writing".   When the above text says ..
"when 3.00am becomes 2.00am" it obviously means that 03:00 summer time
turns into 02:00 standard time (which is correct).   In the TZ data, the
authors of that rule chose to use "2:00s" - the "s" indicates standard
time, instead of wallclock time.   That is, Summer Time ends at 02:00
standard time (which is correct, and also was, very briefly, 03:00 Summer
time, just before the change back).

  | so can please someone told me at what time is supposed to start the April
  | DST on New Zealand?

It is what both of the above say, 02:00 standard time, or 03:00 wallclock
time - but of course, that's when summer time ends, not when it starts
(Australia and NZ are in the Southern Hemisphere after all, it is summer
in January, not July...)

kre