variations on GMT-8:00

Jesper Norgaard Welen jnorgard at prodigy.net.mx
Fri Jan 19 04:48:04 UTC 2007

I guess you are referring to this:

# From Arthur David Olson, 2005-12-19
# We generate the files specified below to guard against old files with
# obsolete information being left in the time zone binary directory.
# We limit the list to names that have appeared in previous versions of
# this time zone package.
# Zone	NAME		GMTOFF	RULES	FORMAT	[UNTIL]
Zone	EST		 -5:00	-	EST
Zone	MST		 -7:00	-	MST
Zone	HST		-10:00	-	HST
Zone	EST5EDT		 -5:00	US	E%sT
Zone	CST6CDT		 -6:00	US	C%sT
Zone	MST7MDT		 -7:00	US	M%sT
Zone	PST8PDT		 -8:00	US	P%sT

I think that "obsolete information" is the keyword here. These timezones are
obsolete but
could be used by inexperienced users and therefore they are overwritten by
new versions that will presumably be less incorrect. Why "CST" is not
defined above
when CST6CDT *is* is beyond me, by the way - compare to EST and EST5EDT.

Regards,
- Jesper Nørgaard Welen