FW: Localization of timezones from zone.tab

Mark Davis mark.davis at icu-project.org
Tue Jul 10 17:44:14 UTC 2007

The Unicode CLDR project (http://unicode.org/cldr/) does supply translations
for timezone IDs. There are a few caveats.

   1. The timezone database really has equivalence classes of IDs. One of
   these can be used as a representative for any in the equivalence class. It
   is the zone.tab file that contains such IDs. CLDR started by using
   that file, but unfortunately it is not stable (different equivalent IDs can
   be substituted at any time). So what we do is use as the representative the
   one that historically the first one used in any zone.tab file (after
   CLDR started).
   2. We allow, but do not encourage, translation of zones that are the
   only zone in a country. For that we use the country name. This cuts down
   very substantially on the number of translations needed. That is, you would
   see the equivalent of "Italy", and "United States (Los Angeles)" -- only in
   the latter case do we need translations for the cities.
   3. Translators can optionally add other variations: daylight (summer)
   time, standard (winter) time, and generic time, both abbreviated and long.
   4. These choices percolate out to clients of CLDR: Google, IBM, Apple,
   Adobe, and many others.

Mark

--
Mark